Nestled in the heart of Felicity; the Felicity SDMS Primary School has been one of the flagship institutions of the SDMS and the community for the past 60 years. Our education strategy integrates intellectual studies, Hindu principles/culture and national diversity; to create a well rounded citizen who can easily contribute to society. Our success can be measured by the achievements in varying disciplines and recognition at both the community and national level.
The Felicity Hindu School was established in January 1953. The structure was a T-shaped flat concrete building which was at the back of Shree Shankar Mandir (Branch # 124 SDMS). The first Principal, then called Head Teacher was Mr. Sonny Dindial. The population at this time was 350 students and 10 members of staff.
Three years later on Friday 21st September 1956 the entire school was destroyed by fire. Classes were then conducted under the homes of neighbours to ensure continuity of the children’s education. While the school was under the houses, Mr. Hardeo Ramsingh acted as the Head Teacher.
The school was rebuilt and pupils and staff moved into a new two storey L- shaped building in 1959 with Mr. Cholo Boodram as the Head Teacher. However the formal opening did not take place until March 23rd 1961. It was inaugurated by the then Minister of Education, Mr. Donald Pierre. This day was declared a holiday for all Maha Sabha schools, so that the Principals and Teachers of these schools could attend this special function.
Over the years there was a steady increase in population and space became an issue. To accommodate this growth, classes were temporarily held in the temple until an annex was built and officially opened in 1989 and named after the Principal at the time, Mr. Mahadeo Pundit. Another annex was added to the back by Mr. Mesho Rohit while he was the acting Principal and then in 1998 the yard was covered and named the Atmaram Maharaj Auditorium.
This school has been blessed to have had some of the most dedicated and committed Principals, Teachers, Parents, Students, and Benefactors who have ensured that it remains one of the Maha Sabha’s flagship institutions.